Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Remembering December...

Remembering December was always easy for me; not because of Christmas, my birthday is the day after Christmas!  I remember as a child I used to feel a little cheated, the day after Christmas was always a little anti-climatic.  My mom was a single mom doing the best she could, so money was always a consideration. At Christmas my mom would try to get me my one "big" gift and whatever socks or underwear or shoes, etc. I needed.  On my birthday, I got my favorite, an ice cream cake and my mom's undivided attention, she could make me feel so special by making a big fuss over how much I had grown, how smart I was and how much she loved me.

Looking back, I really appreciate those days now.  Seems like everyone is so stressed over making sure their children get everything they want.  Personally, I feel like we are a nation of spoiled, over indulged adolescents.  In this economy how is it that people are still spending what they don't have.  Are we trying to buy our children's love or what?  I'm just as guilty.  When my son was younger I remember how I felt when I couldn't afford to stuff his stocking with all those gameboys and the games that went with them.  Anyone with kids knows how expensive those games are!  There were times when I couldn't afford the things he needed for school, so, it was very hard on me as a parent. 

This year I've told my family and friends that I would rather not exchange gifts but would rather enjoy spending time with them.  I want to make bread and cookies and pies with them in the kitchen. I want us to talk to each other, recount stories while bumping into each other in the kitchen while cooking Christmas dinner, break bread together and lift our glasses to our mutual health, happiiness and prosperity.  I want memories for Christmas, that's all.

I've heard that the holidays provide the highest statistics for depression, suicides and death.  This December is already proving that to be true.  I've already heard from an old friend battling cancer, another one is somberly awaiting the demise of her mentor, my best friend is filing for bankruptcy, a family member is recuperating from surgery and so many I know are still out of work and struggling.

I just want to celebrate what we do have.  If you are lucky enough to have family, celebrate them.  If you have friends, you are blessed.  If you have your health and a job you are one lucky s.o.b.  If you can, reach out to those without, it's not always about money, adopt a friend or a family to invite to dinner, offer a ride to a senior citizen, offer to help your neighbor string lights or put up decorations. 

Now is all we have, what's past is past and what's ahead is never guaranteed.  The time I spend in gratitude with those I care the most about is what I'll remember through the new year, not who gave me the sweater I'll never wear. 

PS  I will be bringing fruit baskets wherever I am invited, I can say a lot with one of my fruit gift baskets, the recepients have always been very appreciative, knowing that it was made with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment